Sunday 4 May 2014

John Travolta - Why Danny Zuko's Car And My Wiper Blades Will Never Go Out Of Style

"Go Grease Lightning, Go grease Lightning!" Such a classic tune etched in the back of my brain. I'll never forget watching the race footage when John Travolta's white classic stainless steel steed launched over the water gap down in that Southern California sewer ditch, leaving Danny Zuko the winner. Also helping out with the whole situation was Sandra D. Every classic car should come with a woman like that.

By the age of 15, I was already gearing up to buy my first car, and it had to be a classic. I would rather own something that I understood under the hood than something that is smarter than me. I was scouring papers and the web and found great listings for Mustangs. Many were listed in our local Recycler. So the choice vehicle I went for was a 65 Mustang. They have such a classic and clean look to them and they look super impressive while rolling down the street.

This was a pretty impressive rig to own at the age of 16. I remember lots of heads turning when I used to park that beast in the student parking lot. One funny thing we used to do was we would point the wiper blades and water release vents out away from the windshields. So when the wiper fluid was turned on, the water would shoot out and hit any car or person to the side of the car. I'm not sure if this was easily done to Mustang wiper parts or if it was just a special trick that we could do with some of those older cars, but it sure surprised quite a few when they would get sprayed.

So along with my pimped out '65 Ford Mustang, I kind of liked the whole "greaser" look that the T-Birds had. I had to go out and get a leather jacket. I found one at a thrift store, and along with a couple pairs of blue jeans, I was there. Pretty much a blast from the past. It's pretty funny how fashions come back around in circles. Perhaps fanny packs and slap bracelets will be the next fad along with Iroc Camaros and white Jeeps and every school. And maybe the fashions can really be connected to each popular movie that comes out. So "Don't tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead" and "Clueless" can be blamed for such sweet fashions that will be coming back in the future.

I only wish that I decided to keep that '65 Mustang. Those classic cars will never go out of style. I have seen many of the new re-issues, the new PT Cruiser and the new Dodge Challenger.... They're very nostalgic and are new solutions. But the real deal lives in the old steel. Road rage is best in an old classic... just kidding :) But I'm sure many of us have thought from time to time how nice it would be to have an old clunker to teach a lazy driver a thing or two out there on the road. And the ease of being able to work under their hoods is so missed nowadays.

I have convinced myself enough to jump back online and search for one of those classic 'Stangs. I bet they go for more money now, but they are totally worth the investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment